Care & Repair


Legal issues that may arise with Victorian houses






The Party Wall Act 1996

If you live in a semi-detached or terraced house and are considering work on the wall(s) you share with your neighbour,  there are a few things it is essential to know first.

Check out the free RICS guide on our sister website Rightsurvey



  Trees & Hedges

Did you know, you could wind up with an ASBO for growing a monster hedge?  Check with ‘naturenet’ about problem hedges etc




Planning,  Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

Council planners have draconian enforcement powers.  Scary for the unwary ….

See Planning advice for works to Victorian houses




Does your house comply with Building Regs?   ( it’s illegal not to ….)

See Building Regulations advice for works to Victorian houses



Bats in your belfry ??

Don’t mess with those little critters – they’re legally protected



 WHO OWNS that piece of land or property?

Download copies of Title registers and Title plans from only £3 at The Land Registry website





DIY Doctor has guidance on DIY conveyancing, or compare prices for professional local conveyaning solicitors.



Other points that your solicitor should consider when you buy a property include:

– Is there a  flying freehold

A flying freehold refers to freehold property built over land which does not form part of the property. It is used to describe the situation where a freehold property overhangs or projects out from underneath.


– are there any rights of way over your land


– is there shared access to the house, eg a shared driveway or shared drains  ?




















The website for affordable professional home surveys